MINNEAPOLIS, June 6, 2006 — More than 500 PhD students from Capella University, an accredited online university, will gather in Jacksonville from June 10 through June 15 for an intensive residency. Each year, Capella hosts eight doctoral residencies (also called colloquia), which allow the online university’s PhD students to meet with their peers and faculty in a variety of workshops and presentations related to their degree specializations. The colloquium in Jacksonville will he held at the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront hotel.
While in Jacksonville, Capella students and faculty are invited to participate in The Deans Walk for Health, which takes place Monday, June 12. Capella students, faculty and staff are encouraged to join the university's deans in a mile long walk along the St. John's River to promote healthy lifestyles.
Chris Cassirer, dean of the School of Human Services at Capella, hopes the walk will help advance the School's mission of social service to the health community by growing and focusing on the strength of Capella's faculty, courses, and professional development experiences.
“Our learners and faculty have the opportunity to come together and celebrate our commitment to health by joining us for a walk,” he said. “Ultimately, I would like to grow and link our walk to local community organizations so that we can help fundraise and contribute to the health and development of the communities we serve.”
Every Capella PhD candidate is required to attend three colloquia, which are held at locations throughout the United States. Of the more than 15,700 students pursuing an online degree at Capella, nearly 45 percent are PhD candidates. Capella's students are among the estimated 1.2 million Americans enrolled in online higher education.
About Capella University
Founded in 1993, Capella University is an accredited* online university that offers graduate degree programs in business, information technology, education, human services, and psychology, and bachelor's degree programs in business and information technology. Within those areas, Capella offers 77 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 16 certificate specializations. The online university currently serves more than 15,700 learners from all 50 states and 63 countries. It is a national leader in online education, committed to providing high-caliber academic excellence and pursuing balanced business growth. Capella University is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Capella Education Company, headquartered in Minneapolis. For more information, please visit http://www.capella.edu or call 1-888-CAPELLA (227-3552).
*Capella University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, located at 30 N. LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602-2504, (312) 263-0456, www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org.
Learn more about earning an online degree at Capella University:
- online education ( http://www.capella.edu/online_education.aspx),
- online college (http://www.capella.edu/online_college_degree_programs.aspx),
- distance learning (http://www.capella.edu/distance_learning.aspx),
- online university (http://www.capella.edu/online_university.aspx),
- online learning (http://www.capella.edu/online-learning-degree-programs.aspx).
Read Capella University's most recent news releases:
- June 1, 2006: Business Continuity and Disaster Planning Focus of Presentation by Online University PhD Student
- May 16, 2006: Capella University PhD to Gather in Chicago May 20–May 25
- May 15, 2006: Capella University Sponsoring Cleveland Marathon
- May 10, 2006: Expert in Latino Workforce to Speak at Diversity Conference
- May 8, 2006: Capella University Graduate Named Teacher of the Year in San Francisco Area
- May 8, 2006: Get Them Engaged: Relationships are Essential to Effective E-learning
- May 8, 2006: Capella University Announces Two New K–12 Education Specializations
- May 8, 2006: Capella University Offers New Bachelor's Specialization in Information Assurance and Security
- May 5, 2006: Capella University Launches Three New MBA Specializations